Dirt farmer I think we are one seven figure lawsuit away from any "improved velocity" 45-70G. My high velocity factory fodder view runs to the 450 Marlin, over, say the 457 WWG Magnum. Buffalo Bore has some awesome 450 Marlin custom loads on their page. They also have Starline Brass 45-70's with a little higher velocities, due to their slightly larger volumes. I just think that the 450 Marlin is a little more idiot proof.

I understand that my Marlin Guide Gun has to have the bottom round in the magazine tilted towards the loading gate. This induces a problem with certain bullet meplate designs. I don't know if the belted rimless cases in the 450 Marlin also have to be "influenced" towards the Marlin's loading gate.

If I didn't make it plain, my earlier post is for chambering a .451 pistol dimensioned barrel in a bolt action rifle, with a box magazine. The 458 American was made for bolt actions at much higher pressures than the Marlin Levers will handle. While I have shot 350 gr. Hornady RN's out of my Guide Gun, I never put more than one in the magazine tube. This was only a two shot proposition. And at that, the middle knuckles on my left hand stung for over a week. I had a few left over from loading for a much heavier Italian Rolling Block, with a half oct. barrel. On that 45-70, it was my left shoulder which got bit bad by the brass crescent butt plate. That's why I still had a few of them for over twenty years. I think I still have one or two, just to remember how much fun they really were.

I think a 300 gr. Jacketed Freedom Arms bullet, made for the 454 Casul, would be an ideal big game bullet for a 1.9 inch long .451 x 450 Marlin Short. In a bolt action, any round nosed 45 Auto bullet will work, at lower velocity, of course.

At the very bottom, I have a Lee .450 hollow point conical mold, made for the 1858 Remington C&B's. This spells tremendous flexibility, using Trail Boss powder. But all of this is still just a suggestion. Doing a slightly longer 457 WWG length, 458 American, will get you to the same place, on the heavy end.

As my old RCBS combo dies show, you can reload a 457 WWG length 458 American, with something close to the 457 WWG published starting loads, and then work up from there.

My take is to go short and light, with the necked down .451x450 Marlin case, and go long and heavy, (457WWG), with the trimmed back 458 Win. Magnum case.

These two suggestions will give you tremendous flexibility in a 45 caliber short action bolt rifle, if you are interested.

Last edited by INDYBUSTER; 03/03/13.