I've been considering posting this thread for a few weeks. Here goes...

All the pertinent details-

My current job with a plumbing and heating contractor has me at a dead end. I've been here for 15+ years and am now stuck at desk full time, which I detest. I'm a knowledge seeker and I'm not learning chit sitting here. I've also been at the same salary for a few years while I've watched the price of everything go up, up, up.

I have a Master Plumber's license and in about 3 weeks I'll be taking a State administered test to get my Plumbing Contractor's license - a requirement in this state if you want to be in the plumbing biz. I have a good reputation in the area and have had high-end builders question me in recent years about whether I might start my own business. Stating that they'd be very interested in dealing with a subcontractor of my "caliber".

I also have a background in building. I have the knowledge to build a basic home from start to finish, not including things like drywall and electrical and unfortunately, I don't have any HVAC licensing yet. (but I will eventually) Complicated or busy roof lines would throw me a bit at first but I'm sure I could figure it out if called upon to do so.

What I'm considering is starting a one man show in the handy-man, home maintenance and plumbing business. With all my experience, working my way up from an apprentice to a journeyman, then a few years as a field supervisor and then estimating, and most recently, adding my Master's license - what I lack is the small business smarts.

I have no plans to employ anyone other than myself. There are enough guys in the area that are happy to lend a hand when I might need one that I'm certain that a one man show is viable. What I'm looking for answers on is - what steps does a guy like me need to take to have all my bases covered regarding liability, taxes, advertising, etc.

Another issue is health insurance. While my current employer has taken our health insurance coverage down, down, down, at least it's something. Retirement isn't an issue since my employer stopped our 401K a few years ago. I'm hopeful that I can do better than the current nothing that I'm putting away.

I realize this would be a huge risk, but I'm thinking of getting it off the ground while I keep my current job. That means I'd have to focus on the maintenance/handy man stuff since my boss will not allow me to operate as a plumber on the side while I work for him (understandably).

So, what say the 'fire men (and women)?

Break is over, back to work. I'll check in in a bit. Thanks for any constructive comments.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile