Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Thought I'd purchased my ideal drilling a few years ago, a Sauer 12x12/.30-06 with a 6x32 Zeiss scope. It seemed like the perfect all-around/travel gun, and I was doing more traveling then, since ammo for each could be found anywhere. I even shot it very well as a shotgun: After getting used to the swing, broke 25 straight at trap in my second round.

But eventually decided it was too heavy as a scoped .30-06 and not quite right when unscoped as as 12 either. My favorite drilling now is a 16x16/6.5x57R purchased from luv2safari. It's light enough to be a lively 16-gauge without the 4x Hensoldt scope, and the 6.5x57R is plenty for anything I plan to hunt with a drilling here in Montana--which is my major, realistic use for a drilling anymore.

My other drilling is a century-old hammer Sauer-Daly back-action sidelock in 12x12/.30-30. It's pretty useful too, partly because it has a flip-up tang aperture sight. Have taken both big game and birds with both--and like 'em both.

My point, I guess, is that any shotgun gauge from 20 to 12, and any basic big game round will do the job. Admittedly I like to keep things simpler than some other hunters might....

We seem to have gone the same direction, John. I sold my good old meat-stick Sauer 12/12/30-06 and my heavy 12/12/9,3X74R drillings recently.

I missed the nice little Sauer you tricked me out of and determined I needed to replace it. I did. I found one 3 years earlier than yours, but otherwise essentially the same gun. I love this 6.5X57R round. It is very much like a 257 Roberts, and there are very good 120-140 gr bullets for it.

My other favorite is the Sauer/Daly hammerless sidelock/side-cock 12/12/30-30. I had sold it to Steelhead and again regretted that mistake, so I got it back; Scott was kind enough to work with me on the deal and make it happen.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”