Ideal,with no mods? Remington S/S Model Seven in one of the SAUM offerings. All you need is a new barrel(and a McMillan stock).
<br>
<br>The WSM case is shorter than the 284Win case and of more capacity. In 25cal,magazine constraints are not an issue,within the Remington's 2.800"-ish typical magazine box length.
<br>
<br>The 25-284 is a superb cartridge and I very much love it. The only way to beat it,in a short action,is to go the SAUM or WSM case design(or Jamison or Lazzeroni,but they require even more boltface mods and not all 'Smiths are willing to open a Remington up that far).
<br>
<br>So I see the 257WSM as King of the Hill,working within a short action's confines and the Rem 700 series in particular. In fact,it will even whip up on my beloved 25-06Ackley Improved. To beat the 257WSM,you gotta go 257Wby. Now I dearly love the 257Wby too(UNDERSTATEMENT),so I'm sorta torn.
<br>
<br>I'm of the opinion that the 257WSM makes the most sense of the lot,for a superb performing,lightish-weight Game rifle. It is a 25-284 on steroids and I view that as a most positive attribute.
<br>
<br>I hope for performance that treads on the heels of the 257Wby,in a package akin to the 25-284. Were I starting over,with not a single 25cal in the fleet,I'd jump into a 257WSM just as fast as I could arrange it.
<br>
<br>Vicous rumor is that it will be a Factory round,before horribly long. That would simplify the process for many,if you could stomach a Winchester based rifle(grin).
<br>
<br>I sorta like 25's and the WSM makes very good sense to me,so the melding of the two was a natural conclusion. Now it is but a matter of time,to see if that hunch,bears fruit.
<br>
<br>My hopes are high...............
<br>
<br>
<br>

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."