Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Originally Posted by Hi_Vel
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Sierra lists a 55 grain Gameking bullet in 22 caliber. They should fly out of a 14 twist 22-250, I would presume.

Has anyone here used them? On deer?

they work very well--though for deer i prefer the 55 or 60 gr. hornady spire point.

Do you feel that the Hornadys are a tougher bullet? We have used the 60 grainer on deer with no problems.

no, i can't say that i believe the hornadys are any "tougher"--though i cannot say for certain.

i would guess that the jackets on either brand (hornady or sierra), are likely around .014 thickness.

of course a notable .224 exception is the semi pointed 70 grain speer, which has a jacket thickness of about .018, so it is a "tougher" bullet, though it truly suffers from an inferior bc.

i have always preferred the sierra 52 gr. hpbt when punching paper shooting my heaviest, most accurate rig--and would usually use either that bullet, or the 55 sierra sp that you mentioned, when shooting chucks.

when out shooting yotes, i have usually used the 53 hornady hp--i found that it worked far better than the fmj, producing kills like a sp, with the "damage" to fur somewhat commensurate with a fmj--about a quarter sized exit hole.

therefore, for no specific reason, when shooting the same sporterweight .22 cf rigs for deer, i would usually use the same brand--the 55 or 60 gr (hornady) sp.

over the years, i have not been able to tell any difference in shooting deer--whether using the 55 gr sierra sp, the 55 or 60 gr hornady sp, or the 55 gr nosler solid base sp, (i've not shot a deer with either the 60 gr sierra, or the 70 gr semi pointed speer sp), and though the speer is heavier in the jacket--i'm negative on that specific pill with it's lower bc in the higher velocity 22 cf. rigs.

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...