I've hunted elk in the Gunnison Mountains in southern Colorado and moose on a fly-in trip in northern Canada. Elk seem tougher than moose... and elk seem to hang onto life harder as well.

Elk are tough customers and will travel long distances over the roughest terrain if only wounded... and in rough terrain, you'll have a difficult time getting them out if they die 'way back in the "boonies". So you need to get close enough to insure you put the bullet in the elk's "kill zone". If you do that, the elk will be your's!

I suggest you use a premium 165 grain bullet for good penetration without stealing needed powder space out of the cartridge case. You should be able to get about 2550 to 2600 fps with a bullet like the 165 grain Nosler Partition Bullet or a similar quality bullet and, of course, you need to place it in the elk's "kill zone" at no more than 150 yards or closer if you are able to stalk closer.

While the .300 Savage truly is a 250 yard cartridge for deer, I wouldn't take on elk at that range with it. Many an elk has been killed with a lowly .30/30, so your .300 Savage will get the job done if you do YOUR part.

Good luck on your elk hunt and bring home those elk steaks and roasts. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...