I briefly owned a 99EG in .300, after selling it deciding to look for a 99R, and now have something to shoot those bullets I bought on the first go-round.

The Savage wears a 580,000 S/N with wood and steel buttplate matching, but those items also have KG stamped in them with a 5 stamped into the forearm wood as well. The boss code looks to be 24B, weakly stamped where it rolls off on the right side. Sling swivel studs (it came with a sling attached, both wood and leather smelling of pipe smoke--or maybe Skoal, it came from West Virginia) look factory based on pictures I've seen of others, and while the rear sight is missing there is a 1-piece Redfield base with flip-up peep sight at the rear. Mounted in some Redfield rings is a Redfield widefield scope, 3x9 with a tv-screen shaped rear and round front lens set. Looks like something from an eastern deer camp and I love it! Pretty well oil soaked wood, the forearm is undergoing lacquer thinner treatment to get it to where the buttstock now resides, waiting for finish.

The question is, what is the proper rear tang sight for a rifle like this? Would a Lyman be proper or were they Redfields at the rifle's point in time, or....??

Kirk

Bore, n. Shotgun enthusiast's synonym for "gauge" ; everybody else's synonym for "shotgun enthusiast." - Ed Zern