I called Savage awhile back about building me a .30-06 to my specs...I wanted a few things that weren't available on the factory rifles, like a 24" barrel and a stainless barreled action, bedded in a nice walnut stock. I also wanted the detachable magazine, also not available in their standard lefty offerings. "No problem; we can do that", Savage told me. So I placed my order and waited. While waiting, I also got in a set of DNZ one-piece mounts (low) and started deciding on what glass to use. I had a 3-9X 3200 Bushnell Elite laying around, so I put that on for testing. I eventually will go with one of the Weaver Classic 4X scopes; Weaver is making excellent little fixed-power scopes now. It'll work well mounted low in the DNZ mount. Here's some initial photos; more to follow after I range-test. This will make .30-06 number 8; eventually I'll find the perfect '06. This one has potential. OK, OK; it's a Savage...but it's a NICE Savage.
Bob

[Linked Image]

A full, 24" factory barrel
[Linked Image]

Bottom metal is stainless; box mag works well, without any issues. I like it better than the Sako 85
[Linked Image]

Nice, dark walnut; pores are well-filled with a perfectly fitted pad. Not fancy, but lots of color. A great hunting stock
[Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 06/04/13.