Biggest mistake when Elk hunting??? Easy....many years ago I went to Colorado on an Elk trip with my father and my wife (now Ex) and all 3 of us applied for a Cow tag hoping one of us would draw. Wouldn't you know it, that was the year the CDOW decided to open the floodgates and give out a bazillion Cow tags! All three of us drew one.

First day of the hunt, near a famous park in North Central Colorado, I was setting on this bench at first light listening to the late bugling bulls and they were close!

Ten minutes later, I see antlers bobbing along as a HUGE 6x7 herd bull fed up over the bench right towards me! shocked

At 15 yards he stops and stares at me while I peek at him under my boony hat brim so he can't see my eyes. We begin a 5 minute staring contest as I had my hand on my .44 in the shoulder holster, my .300 win mag was leaning against the tree next to me.....

Eventually he turned and worked his way back down the bench and about ten minutes later I took one of his girlfriends as they crossed the bench down below me.

He was massive and was slightly palmated on his right top....amazingly beautiful!
You have no idea how many times during the rest of my life, I wish I had had a bull tag instead of that durn Cow tag!!!! grin

Easily the biggest Bull I've ever seen in the wild....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~