Originally Posted by keith
Crow, chucks, and varmints...hummmm bullet needs to expand on impact.

If the varmints ain't a fly'en, I am not to interested.

Lots of bullets just zip right through a chuck and they just crawl or run off.

800 yards on varmints is not like 800 yards on a steel plate.

Yes, explosive hits from varmint bullets can matter more then burning extra gas to push the heavies. In 6MM try the 62gr Varmint Grenades, 70gr TNTs, and 87gr V-Max. The heaviest 6MM V-Max is the 87V-Max and it's awesome in the 243WIN. About good as it gets before leaving the mist for 105s.

The OP wants to build off of a 308 bolt face and might want to consider the 6XC with 87 V-Max and 105 A-Max. Brass is easy. Just open bag and load.

A long range varmint thumper I'm building later this year is a heavy chunk 7-08AI. (I have an 8 twist Rock 1.200" cylinder on order) smile
Lots of 7MM varmint bullets too like the Sierra 100gr VHPs, Speer 110gr TNTs, Speer 115 VHPs, Hornady 120gr VHPs, Hornady 120gr V-Max. The 120 V-Max should be wild on squirrels. We gonna love 110 TNTs and 162 A-Max's. Also I'll see if it can push 175s with it's AI engine...This rig should shoot almost everything and with longer barrel life too.

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"