I went through when they still taught log books religiously. I didnt keep one, much to the chargin of the cadre, and I set the course record. It seemed retarded then, and I still think it is. Log books are for Highpower shooters that shoot the same ranges every year. There is nothing in a log book from Ft. Bragg, Benning, or 29 Palms that will help me 10k feet up a snow covered mountainside half a world away. And even if it did, am I going to carry 8 different log books on every mission and then in the middle of a TIC search through them page by page for conditions that might be similar...?

IME log books for snipers are emotional woobie. In time sensitive unknown conditions I'll use my PDA or IPHONE to get real time information, or I'll pull the data from the drop card taped to the gun.

Btw- I use HF weekly, and dismount patrol quite a bit. Not sure why old school guys think they were so much better. We can't train on everything, so we train on the stuff that we slaughter the enemy with. Our troops today would embarrass troops from 20-30 years ago. I believe fully in the basics and worse case scenarios, but the fact is we are worlds ahead in capability of what we were then.