And Mark how can you praise .340 Weatherbys on another post and 25-06s for elk here? Vic/

Huh.....WTF?

What on earth does the fact that I like the 340 have to do with any of this????? That thread was about the 338 vs the 340 if I remember right.

I have used a ton or rounds on critters and would gladly hunt the world with a 25/06, and or a 340. His question though was around the 25/06 so that is what I answered.

I never said over on that other forum that you had to have a 340 for anything. I just said that it is a good round and I enjoy it and use it a lot. I never said that you had to have one for this or that purpose! I also believe I said that I like and want to use the 340 and that it wasn't a need!

I don't know how much experience you've with elk Fishdoc but I've a pretty darn good idea it is fairly limited and not all it could be.

It is not rocket science to take out an elk. To do so one needs to get the bullet where it need be. I've seen plenty enough of them taken with Swifts and 22/250's to know that. And no I am not telling folks that they should use a round like these for elk anymore than I ever said that you had to have a 340 to do so.

Fishdoc it you have some real world experience in taking elk with a 25/06, then by all means please feel free to chime in as I would love to hear it.

I always get a kick out of the fact that the 270/130 combo @ 3K fps has taken a ton load of elk. And yet if one mentions the use of a 25/06 and 115 or 120 combo then some chechako gets all up in arms with it. There is not a bit of diff betwixt those 2, and the critters are for darn sure never gonna know the diff.

You stick a good 25 bullet in the lungs and the critter is toast. You don't stick it where it belongs and you'd better get your Adida's on as it is gonna be a track race. Guess what you do the same thing with a 340 and you'd better put your track shoes on as well. Taking an elk out is about taking out the right equipment and not about this or that cal.

It just isn't rocket science but some sure seem to have a desire to make it that way.

I'd be willing to bet though that you've not been in on the seen a handful of elk with the round (25/06) though.

Trust me, you give me a 25/06 and tell me to hunt elk with it the rest of my life and if I don't take an elk each year it sure as heck won't be because the round isn't adequate!

Mark D

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy