Originally Posted by realitycheck
African hunters: Is the 9.3x62 round with its heaviest bullet of around 300 grains considered sufficient for cleanly taking all the "big 5"?

I've never killed any of the "big five"....but here is something I can attest to....On my one and only safari, I was up close and personal with elephants.....and they are scary animals.....scary because their immense size is truly intimidating.

These is an old saying....."once you've been amongst them, there's no such thing as too much gun" and that is something I discovered in very short order.....

Is the 9.3 X 62 adequate?.....I can't say....but I certainly wouldn't be there hunting stuff that can "stomp me into a raspberry jelly" using a 9.3 if I could have used something with more authority.

IMO the confidence level one has in his firearm is critical to good shooting when the "rubber meets the road".....and while the .375 H&H isn't an enormous amount more.....it would take that as a minimum to get me to anything approaching a comfort level that I'd require as the threshold. In that light the 9.3 isn't adequate.....but for me!.....There's more to consider than merely ft-lb of energy!