Originally Posted by Ste_vel
The M71 348 and 86's looked much better with checkering and good wood.

The thing about them is the lack of a scope, the primitive irons and the odd, difficult to find components and ammo for that 348.

Long ago I searched for a nice 71 with checkering and never found one at a reasonable price. Just as well as my 99F/.358 win is a better hunting rifle.

A search on Gunbroker found some and one may have reblue?

They are starting it at $1350.00!

M71 348 @ Gunbroker

Just as well I never got one.

I was in the same boat. I thought I'd never have one because of the high prices. My friend bought one about a year ago for $500.00 and it's in about 60% condition (bore is pristine though) with the receiver drilled and tapped. The person that said anyone that hasn't shot a 71 before owes it to themselves to do so was not lying. I shot my friends and I had to have one!!! They are the sweetest shooting lever gun I've had my hands on. Finally one fell into my lap yesterday and it's been around the block a time or 2 but the bore on it is also pristine. It's an oldie (made in '37) prewar with the long tang and original peep. I really look forward to shooting this one and hope it shoots as good as my friends rifle grin...:

[Linked Image]

Figured you guys over here in this forum would appreciate the pic grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA