Bob,

I agree the SS M-70 Classic Express .375 H&H is one of the least expensive ways to get a solid, using rifle. Unfortunately, the 24" factory barrel is way too heavy. I understand Winchester uses this same barrel contour for their .416 and .458. With those, that profile may be OK, with the .375 there's a lot more steel left in the barrel because of the smaller bore.

I cut mine to 21" and it's amazing how much better it handles. It ballances at the front of the receiver. Before, it handled like a barrel heavy club, now it's a fast handling big gun.

I even kept the Tupperware stock after jerking out the hot glue bedding and Steel Bedding the lug. It's not as nice as a Legend, but is around $500 cheaper... shocked

DF

Edited to add, when I had the barrel cut to 21", I had the smith tweak the action for smooth feed. I know, the .375 H&H is a slick feeding round to begin with. But, this rifle will now cycle a full mag of EMPTY cases as fast as I can cycle the action. If it will do that with empty cases, you know the rounds are lining up perfectly with the chamber. That's a confidence builder, for sure.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/27/13.