Originally Posted by calikooknic
I would take a guess that standard vs mag is not as critical or varied in cases with larger bore vs capacity cases. The more overbore or what ever term you prefer also suits faster powders compared to the large capacity/smaller bore situations. Just a thought?

calikooknic: Sure....I would think there's a difference between igniting 65 or so grains of RL15 in a 338 WM,and igniting a charge of H1000 in a 7 Rem Mag or 264,cases with similar capacity but vastly different bore diameters. And I would think there is a difference in igniting those charges at -20F vs 70+F (except in PA.,where it never gets that cold wink...and maybe that is the reason that lab technicians and ammo manufacturers (who have access to pressure testing equipment and manufacture ammo that will be used in a variety of rifles and conditions, virtually across the globe....in a word, "professionals") might have selected a standard primer over a magnum primer for that particular load.

And maybe why, in order to reliably ignite large doses of slow burning powder in ,say, a 300 Weatherby magnum at optimum speed, and in order to NOT lose velocity) Federal invented the Fed 215 primer.....and WW followed suit with their LRMP, and on it goes.

But I don't know....I am not a ballistician.....and as far as I know, neither is anyone who has posted an opinion here.

Could it be, they know something we don't? crazy

But what could these people possibly know about such stuff?....they are just professionals and since the collective wisdom of the CF seems to be that there is no difference between standard primers and magnum primers....then why the hell did these companies make magnum primers for,in the first place? grin

I mean they should have logged in here to get the "real" scoop....after all, we have all the info, professional knowledge and equipment to make these determinations ourselves........right? sick wink

I couldn't qualify a single soul on here who has run all these exhaustive "tests" themselves as an expert on the matter in a courtroom... smirk whistle

Courts like the truth, and not backyard experiments,and self-ordained experts,which are the same value as home entertainment.

And, even though I did not shoot any messengers, merely expressed a viewpoint, all I can say is, if you own 37 magnum rifles....and not a single magnum primer....well....

No comment.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.