Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Have never been lucky enough to find one just riding around on the quad, glassing lots of country is how I usually end up finding a shooter.

That's the part that some so-called 'hunters' don't seem to understand about the use of ATVs, and the part that lot of others don't get either. It's mostly a sitting and glassing thing for us here as well. I dread much of the riding we have to do; it's challenge enough in itself much of the time, and 'getting lucky' means back-tracking through that which may have been hairy to begin with. And that is part of the challenge of getting there in the first place: making sure you have a proper exit strategy in place.

I haven't actually seen many moose while straddling an ATV. Off the top of my head I can think of only a couple. One, a couple of years ago, was a young bull in the rut which must have though the putt-putt of the machine was a challenge or something. He was out in the middle of the wide open tundra, just as we were when we saw him. We stopped. He seemed to be looking right at us on the still-running honda. I think he might have kept coming had we just stayed as we were. Not wanting to take any chances - and for legality as well, we dismounted and headed toward a willow line which would break our outline; he was headed right toward us afterall and could undoubtedly see us. We probably cut the distance in half until I was comfortable with the shot. Another bull more years ago must have realized that I had given up on the fall effort. He stood withing a few hundred yards of the boat I was returning to, again putt-putting on my honda.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.