You can pretty much make a #1 Ruger in .45-70 into a .458 Win Mag if you want to. That's not hyperbole... I've done it and had it pressure tested in the USA at a powder company. The head ballistics guy phoned me with this pronouncement: "You have just re-invented the .458 Winchester Magnum... What was the recoil like?" They used a machine rest, of course, in testing my loads. By the way -- that load was safe in the #1 Ruger, but I'd NEVER attempt it in the NEF or H&R (I've owned both)as they have a shotgun type break action. I know what the psi was in the Ruger. And, a couple of world class gun smiths told me that the Ruger is a stronger action than the single-shot Browning. Also, that's the belief of the owner of a well respected gun shop in S. Ontario.

I gave my first #1 to my second son, and have had a second #1 in .45-70 long-throated by .30 inch to seat long bullets out so as not to imping too much on powder space... especially the monos.

My favorite load now is the 350 TSX seated to the bottom cannelure, at "impossible" speeds! wink My favorite powders are H4198 up to 350s and H335 for the heavies. And yes, a heavy cast bullet will work very well if cast to match MVs.

405s at 1200? Never tried it and never will. But shot a trophy bl. bear with the 400 Speer at 1865 fps from my first Marlin at 100. Too soft at that speed, but the big bear only went 10 yards and he was bled out! Hole in = 4". No exit. His right side was saturated by blood. I gave him a finisher from the stand that was not needed. The 405 Rem is a tougher bullet, and a very good one.

Right now I'm carrying 13 different .458" bullets from the 325gr Hor to the 500gr solid from Hornady. In between there are a partial box of Barnes 330gr Banded solids, 4 different 350s, some 400 Speers, 400gr Hawks, 400gr Barnes Buster, 405 Rems, 450gr A-Frames, 465gr hardcasts, 480 Hornady DGXs .

And yes, I've also owned a bunch of Marlins, including the GG.

If I wanted a plinking rifle, or one for deer only, it wouldn't be a .45-70. To me, the .45-70 is a serious BIG game cartridge, which in a strong, modern rifle comes into its own at about 1800 fps+. While I've not yet done it, I wouldn't hesitate to use it on moose to 350 yards with the right load.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus