When I was a licensed Montana outfitter back in the 70s & 80s I shot a lot of elk with my .348 Model 71. It�s an excellent saddle rifle with iron sights. It was not unusual for clients to borrow it after their scope took a tumble or their rifle wasn�t dependable for other reasons. Every elk shot was instantly dead (with a chest or neck shot).

I always kept it loaded with factory Winchester 200 grain Silvertip bullets. The rifle is excellent for closed-in brush (dog-hair) shots early in the morning on elk. After they�ve filled up on water, and then drift uphill to a flat semi-open bench holding feed, to bed down for the morning/day. In western Montana this is at the head of a north facing draw that has a grassy bench with open evenly spaced old growth trees at around 5,800 ft, with a dog-hair screen below and with the crest of the above finger ridge within 200 feet �for escape.

That�s for all you guys that have shot elk in Montana, compare that to where you got your elk. No, I wasn�t watching you when you got one. That's where they live due to logical reasons and here you thought old outfitters were so keen.

I don�t think 250 grain bullets make that much difference. They kick harder and don�t print as flat as the 200. I load 200 grain Hornady bullets, too, and my rifle shoots dead-on at 100 yards giving 1�� or smaller groups (very common). I�ve had to take a few elk out to 150 yards, but that was because putting a sneak on exposed elk standing out in the open, of a lightly wooded south facing slope, is pushing my old luck. Just SHOOT!

The Model 71 is a great saddle rifle, because I can ride through tough-stuff, with all the hard bouncing around when the horse looses his footing, and I still don�t have to worry about a scope. When we crest a ridge I look between the buckhorn of the horse�s ears and if there�s an elk anywhere to be seen old �Rusty� has him pegged. It�s a breeze with a good horse. We work together and then I slip off and slide the 71 out quickly and that old 86-action is so smooth. Every client that shot it immediately offered to buy it; I could have sold it a hundred times.

Joe Back, the most famous Wyoming outfitter used a .348 Model 71 saddle rifle. I always figured that if it was good enough for Joe it has to be OK. George Moore was another famous Montana outfitter who hunted the �Bob� working out of Ovando and he exclusively used a .348 Model 71. I�m from the same area and can attest the .348 200 grain bullet is enough for elk, deer and bear. It�s all about hitting the critter with a well placed confident & accurate shot.

In comparison, the heaviest bullet I ever shot in a 30-06 was a 200 grain and elk are regularly shot with 180 grain bullets. I have a couple of .416 Rigby�s, but they�re intended for backup not overkill. Don�t discount a 200 grain bullet.

�Smile, you�re holding a legend, pick a good spot, take a deep breath and aim, now squeeze slow �Boom!� Those few words worked every time for clients and my Model 71 created a lot of great memories for them �and ME!

Stoneman

...I spent most of my money on Guns, Women & Booze. The rest I wasted.

...I started out with nothing and after paying for all my hunting I'm getting back to where I started.