SB45:

True enough on finding off the shelf 9.3 ammo in the US. Can order it on-line from a lot of sources though. Expensive but available. Since I'm a devoted re-loader, factory ammo isn't an issue. 30-06 is a very viable option with ammo available pretty much world-wide.

IF and I do mean IF the UN Arms Treaty is ever fully implemented and more countries and airlines actually increase the enforcement of some existing laws and regulations they already have on the books that prohibit the transport of any caliber firearm and ammo that has "ever" been a military service caliber anywhere, things will get tougher in the long-term for all us traveling hunters since so many calibers originated or where at some point military "issue" calibers.

Since the OP seems to be a fan of the Savage Arms line and thinks his current 7-08 is "not enough" for African PG and is on a tight budget, I just re-checked the Savage web site. They make a stainless/synthetic rifle and Weaver 3-9x40 scope package called "International Trophy Hunter XP with a MSRP of $795. Get that in 375 Ruger and he would be good to go anywhere in the world and any animal in the world for the rest of his days and have the "emph" he stated in the OP out to 500yds. IIRC, Leupold bought out Weaver a couple of years ago.

I just went out to Gunbroker and found one NIB with a Nikon 3-9x40 with the BDC recital (next best thing to "turrets") for $585. The OP would have enough left over in the budget for another trophy fee. He'd probably still have to order ammo on-line in the US or get into reloading, but it has become pretty prevalent in RSA and Namibia where he said he was planning on going.