Ive only been to Africa once and oure group shot about 20 animals including eland. I used a Savage SS 1o in 7mm WSM and my son used a Rem 700 in 300 WSM. My daughter a 308 and my cousin a 300 WSM. The conclusions I came to, are if the bullet is good quality for the game and its plasced well, the Animals drop. They may run a short way but they drop, including eland. If the shot isnt perfect you may have to walk a bit. Barnes TSX and Nosler partitions just fine. Point ius 7-08 will work, 300 winns will work and Savage will work. My estimation of quality and use for the $, Bushnel elite scopes are hard to beat. A Savage 300 WM or WSM will run 1/2 a hundred or so and a Bushnel 2.5-10 is about 400$. Fits thge budget, will shoot almost anything you want to hunt. Not DG of course. A word to the wise on Savage products, I find their quality control is not exemplary, so shoot it for praqctice before you go, check all your ammo for function(especially let the ejector kick the empties out) ( mine didnt all the time<ejector issue>)( infact would accept about 8-or 10 caserims). Keep things on budget and enjoy your trip.

Last edited by rogn; 10/25/13.

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.