Originally Posted by olgrouser
Look like a solid shoulder shot - congratulations on a memorable hunt, Jacks Pa.

Tell us more about Grandpa's rifle.

Actually a heart shot right behind the front leg.

Gun was made in 1931. The story I have been told is that it was bought as a cased set with the .410 barrel. It is .300 Savage. Some time in the 50's or 60's Grandpa and his second wife got in a fight. Grandpa was probably drunk. (An alcoholic.) He pointed a gun at her. She took all his guns and put them on the Railroad tracks. The 99k was the only one to survive. However the .410 barrel, and the wood were destroyed. I was told it was sent back to the factory for new wood and reblued. (Need to send for a letter to see if I can verify this.) I have heard very similar stories from several family members. My grandfather gave the gun to my dad when I was young. Late sixties. My dad gave it to me when my son was born. It will belong to my son one day. He is eleven now. My son mentioned to be a few days ago he wants to send the wood out to have it checkered like a true 99k for me. (Not sure if I would trust anybody to do the work.)

I have posted about this gun before. One of my first post was looking for information and I posted a lot of photos of the engraving. I think if you look at my history you can still find them.

The wino and I know the joy of the ocean like a boy knows the joy of his milkshake in motion...JB