Just curious....with all the interest in high velocity .22 caliber centerfire rounds (particularly for big game) why is there no interest in what I see as an obvious choice.....the 7x57mm necked down to .22 caliber.

I see the .22-243 mentioned occasionally and the AI version of the .22-250, but never the .22x57mm. It seems odd as a properly designed case (OK, I'll actually say.....an AI, sharp shouldered version) should outperform everything else mentioned.

It is almost a perfect copy of the .220 Swift without the "problems" of the semi-rimmed cartridge. With a sharper shoulder and a better twist rate (after all it will be a wildcat and can have whatever twist you want) it should shine with heavier bullets and perform like a champ at long range. If (and that's a big IF) you consider the hot .22's to be a proper deer rifle....it would seem a "natural" for the heavier 60-75 grain bullets at a decent velocity....and "great" at long range for the lighter 50-60 grain bullets for varmits.

I admit I've kicked this idea around for years (since the early 70's), but never actually built a rifle in this caliber. Is there some reason I'm not seeing that has kept this idea from being explored by others?

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know