Originally Posted by TexasRick
Just curious....with all the interest in high velocity .22 caliber centerfire rounds (particularly for big game) why is there no interest in what I see as an obvious choice.....the 7x57mm necked down to .22 caliber.

I see the .22-243 mentioned occasionally and the AI version of the .22-250, but never the .22x57mm. It seems odd as a properly designed case (OK, I'll actually say.....an AI, sharp shouldered version) should outperform everything else mentioned.

It is almost a perfect copy of the .220 Swift without the "problems" of the semi-rimmed cartridge. With a sharper shoulder and a better twist rate (after all it will be a wildcat and can have whatever twist you want) it should shine with heavier bullets and perform like a champ at long range. If (and that's a big IF) you consider the hot .22's to be a proper deer rifle....it would seem a "natural" for the heavier 60-75 grain bullets at a decent velocity....and "great" at long range for the lighter 50-60 grain bullets for varmits.

I admit I've kicked this idea around for years (since the early 70's), but never actually built a rifle in this caliber. Is there some reason I'm not seeing that has kept this idea from being explored by others?

Been done. .22 Newton and .224TTH (via the 6mm Remington) are based on the 7x57 case.

Last edited by hillbillybear; 01/04/14.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.