Varmitguy,

I'd like to address your comments here, no disrespect intended sir. I don't believe for a second the Bitterroot is in anywhere near the trouble claimed by so many residents. I have hunted the root for 20 years and guided there for 7. In general, we kill no fewer bulls today then we did 10 years ago, cow elk notwithstanding due to reg changes.

Since 2008 Montana ranks second only to Utah in B&C bull entries. In the Bitterroot unit 270 and 261 are at or over objective elk populations. Most western Montana hunting units are at or over objective. State wide Montana elk populations are healthy. In the Bitterroot the 2013 Spring Elk survey counted 7373 elk which is the fourth highest elk count in 48 years of surveys.

Wolves: I will now say something that will really tick off my fellow outfitters. I believe the wolf issue has been greatly exaggerated. I have several times over the years been calling bulls in complete frenzy with wolves howling within 300 yards, it never once effected the calling. I have also gone two years without hearing or seeing wolves, not even a track. Some years they are around, others years not at all. I watched 5 bulls and 40 cows grazing in the open at 3pm in the afternoon last year, not a care in the world. Last year I heard bulls bugling all over the mountain, calling not effected by wolves in any capacity.

I was around a decade ago when the elk were everywhere. The bulls today are much better quality, we saw healthy nice 6 point and large 5 point satellite bulls last year!! Killed two P&Y herd bulls, and missed a 360" monster. I really like where we are at right now. The hunting units along the Idaho border, and Idaho itself are in fact down, but even the lower part of unit 250 is seeing increased growth trends and calf stabilization.

Too many folks went overboard with the liberal cow season and extended seasons. Remember the great Lolo peak massacre in Sula? Folks just hammering into the herd, it was truly disgusting. Increased lion season, extended spring bear, liberal wolf harvest and reasonable cow seasons are the ticket in my view.