Originally Posted by RJM

...believe when I tell you gunfighting is a whole nother animal.

Bob

Well my personal experiences have differed a bit and take it for what it is worth.

I can honestly say I felt more pressure standing in a box waiting for a beep when money was on the line than when I have been behind the sights in a fight. For me fights went from relatively calm to over with in a few seconds. There was no adrenaline dump, I reacted as I had trained and my thoughts were focused on what needed to be done (I could hear an old instructor yelling "get off the line and on your sights"). There were no visions of family or anything else clouding my mind. In my first I completed a draw from deep concealment (inside the waist with a snap), got my safety off (sw 5906), was creating distance (started at arms length) and got enough good hits fast enough (4 rounds of 115+p+ center mass) the BG never even got his pistol up all the way and I was conscious he was already collapsing. I guess it fell in the hailstorm of accuracy department.

As a side note I am not a big fan of instructors who preach how xyz techniques will fail under stress or that fine motor skills will perish just because your pulse reaches a certain level. If you train hard enough and engrain your proficiency to the bone you will respond when needed.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper