I would argue a controlled trigger press is about as fine a motor skill as required yet nobody complains we should not do that under stress. I firmly believe in actually looking at a method, determining the positives and the potential for negatives rather than making a blanket application for everything. If it works for you use it. I recently worked with some guys who could not reach the controls on their sigs, we came up with some different ways of running the gun that were not totally traditional but once ingrained in the skill set they will be equally effective.

Just like the doctrine for unloading a semi auto. Almost every program I have been in says to drop the magazine first and then lock the slide back to unload. It also seems these same programs will also teach than on an unknown failure a shooter should lock the slide back first then strip the magazine out because the pressure of the magazine against the slide could be part of the problem. I believe in teaching one method that involves locking the slide/bolt back then dropping the magazine whether your clearing a malfunction or conducting an administrative unloading.

Another instructor lit into me for it being unsafe but can someone explain it to me? Slide is locked back, chamber is empty and magazine is removed from the firearm, still sounds like a safe gun to me.

It seems we have so many sacred cows out there in defensive firearms training and it is my goal to get rid of all of them.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper