Interesting variables! I measured the spent BB brass and found it to be anywhere from 0.949-0.955. I played a bit on trimming today and was able to chamber a 0.961 45 Win Mag empty cartridge(maybe mroe?). This got me to thinking (scary). Straight cases headspace from the mouth, so it stands to reason that the cases are held in place by the ejector. However, when the cartridge discharges the case is forced rearward against the bolt, not forward against the ejector. So, perhaps issues with shorter cases are academic?

I found data indicating that the nominal OAL for the Rowland is 0.957 and another source that indicates 0.954-0.960.

On closer inspection of the BB brass and the reformed 45WinMag I did notice some marks on the rim from the ejector, I suppose. The marks are about 3/8" apart and the same on each piece of brass. Could this have been from the forces going into battery where the ejector stops the forward inertia and not on discharge? I could also see this happening if there was case pressure resisting ejection, however the marks are the same in my starting loads and the hot BB's.

So, this is a great learning opportunity for me. If my thinking is flawed, Heaven forbid!, please help me to gain a better understanding.