fgold767: found this on the ruger forum. Thanks for the help.:
What you describe is common to Ruger rifles due to the weak factory ejector spring and the development of a bit of dust, dirt or dryness on the ejector.

Easy fix.

1} Remove bolt and with a fine jeweler's file, file a slight bevel on both sides of the edge of the ejector groove on the bolt. Doesn't take much, just a bit, then...

2} With same file, reach into the action from the rear and while holding the ejector UP with a screwdriver, file a slight bevel on both sides of the ejector blade. Again, not much needs to be taken off.

3} Clean all filings off with a toothbrush and replace bolt. You are good to go.

If you choose to see the problem in action before doing the fix, twist the bolt as you are ejecting the round. With a little "practice" you can duplicate the failure to eject just to say you got it to botch on-command as it were.

Ruger needs to put a wee bit of bevel on these surfaces and they also need to install a heavier ejector spring from the git-go. For a better version of the same "Win 70" type ejector {sporting a harder spring}, see a modern CZ550.

I do not recall how stiff the Win 70 ejector srings are and I don't own a 70 so I don't know if they are better, but I have heard of similar failures in Win 70's {pre-64} so maybe they need the same treatment at times.

Ruger .416's do not have a monopoly on the original poster's problem. CZ550's in 6.5x55 do ditto and some will not {as original Mausers, also} close on a round dropped into the chamber, so you are really screwed if the round gets ahead of the extractor/bolt and you then try to close the bolt on it.

On my 550, I modified the extractor to cure the drop-in problem but sent the gun back to CZ to be rebarreled to 9.3x62 to cure the feed problem. CZ's have a queer extractor, too, so I should note that I replaced the extractor with a stock GI-Mauser-98 job and now all's well. Feeds upside down, sideways-bothways and even right side up!