Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Furprick
I worked union all my life, never had to kiss an ass or suck a dick, retired at 56 with 50% of my salary in pension and benefits.

Hmm... non union here, 20 years gets me the same exact deal you get. And no union to put up with.

See no reason for them this day and time.

That's good for you, sincerely . Your employer obviously decided to compete in the labor market and your skill set is complimentary to the business. Many people in our local have moved on to supervisory and management positions, we seem to be the feedstock for that, to the point that the company puts 3 cents of every hour worked into our education fund per the collective agreement, this generates 10's of thousands of dollars per year.
A companies controllable cost is labor, when they want more they will come knocking on your door. My skill sets are required in heavy industry and heavy industry is pretty much all union in my area. So , I've found that it is better to work with the union and smart employers do this as well.
Unions are still needed in the modern workplace. Not only for fair wages but good working conditions.