I have a 99 that sounds like it must be what you are all calling a "parts gun". It was made for me by Roland Lussier, who at the time was a (or the) manager of production at Savage Arms in aprox 1986. I had a couple of guns worked on by them and when Roland heard that I was robbed he told me to mail him some good wood from Fejen Reinhardt (sp?) and he would build me a new gun. Roland left Savage just prior to the gun being shipped to me, and I damn near did not get it back. He was replaced by a woman who complained that they were not even allowed to sell a gun to a consumer, just to dealers etc. I got the gun in the end for about $185 plus the cost of the wood I sent to them. So my question is, is my gun more or less valuable (on the market,not to me) than a gun made from a production line at Savage? At the time, the 99 was no longer made so they made my gun from parts that were laying around. Similarly, they fixed an old .303 for me at the same general time, putting a new barrel on it. Will have to read the address on that barrel given the comments above. Your comments are appreciated. Bob