What Battue said. Nowadays my favorite grouse gun (for those rare days I can get my gimpy butt back into the coverts) is a 28ga. O/U with 28" barrels. My L.C.Smith 20ga. 28" Ideal Grade is another favorite. I have used shuckers and autoloaders, but my personal favorites are guns with two barrels, but that's just me.

Going back 40+ years, there was a guy in our group who just couldn't hit a grouse to save his soul, so he resorted to trying to employ technology as a substitute for practice. He started showing up every weekend with a different gun, determined to find "the one" that would magically turn him into a grouse shooter. Needless to say, nothing worked. Then one day he showed up with a M97 Trench Gun. As we pushed through a stand of white pines a grouse rocketed straight up from under his feet. He shot from the hip and sluiced the head clean off at a range of about 10 feet. From that day forward he was convinced he had solved his dilemma. Needless to say he still couldn't hit a grouse, but by God he had the perfect grouse gun.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty