North of Nome is Teller and North of Teller is Brevig Mission. We were North of BM up on the American River with Brian Simpson who runs Wittrock Outfitting. His Fall moose success is phenomenal with a smattering of bear, caribou and one of a few outfitters who guide for Musk Ox: I think during the winter. His spring bear hunts, run off snow machines have very high success rates. We stay in touch because I hope to go back up someday and kill a big bear. He fills me in on his yearly success and it keeps me pumped. No web site, just word of mouth and repeat customers! He lives in Fairbanks.

A few months before heading up to hunt, I called the F&G wildlife biologist in Nome to ask about his bears. He told me he has "blue collar' bears. I'm a wildlife biologist by eduction and was a bit confused until he explained his bears were not fat and lazy salmon fed bears but very aggressive bears who have to hunt for a living where a sow might take down a 1200, 1300 or 1400 lb moose to get the protein it needs. The rivers up there don't have the amounts of salmon and other fish the lower coastal bears have access to.

Alan

Last edited by GSSP; 03/23/14.