Originally Posted by Mathsr
I don't understand it at all. If someone in the military doesn't know how to safely handle a firearm, then he or she should receive additional training. If they are to stupid to train, or too careless to trust, then they should get a discharge.

The military (army is my first hand experience) isn't about training somebody how to safely handle a firearm.

It's about teaching people to kill other people.

Preferably without killing anybody on your own side, but that part isn't emphasized as much. Gun safety beyond clearing your weapon (and you'd be amazed how often THAT can't be done properly) isn't a major topic.
Don't put your finger on the trigger until you're ready to fire? Yeah, right.
Don't aim at something you don't plan on killing? They plan on killing anything threatening.
Don't fire unless you know what's behind your target? Not so much...

Folks on bases have jobs. Long arms for everybody are a silly idea. And what do you do when somebody you issue a sidearm to goes wandering off base for lunch or an errand in a non-open carry city or state?

Easy solution with no unintended consequences is to allow concealed carry for any who have a concealed carry license in the state they are based in. And to allow the base commander to do whatever he wants for the rest. Want to set up roving patrols with M4's? Fine. Want to allow officers to carry side arms on base? Fine. Want to set up machinegun nests with SAW's? Fine. Heck, I remember walking the M60 gauntlet during payday in Basic and AIT.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com