Originally Posted by RinB
Lots of the " long range handgun " shooters use bolt actioned " pistols " with 16-18" barrels AND they use cases up to 338 Lapua Improved. They seem to survive.

If you think that statement through, you'd realize mostly those "pistols" are shot prone with a bipod or improvised rest with the barrel a bit further away from the shooters ears than the average 22" barrel is shot shoulder mounted.

Also, not being shoulder mounted further reduces the possibility of hearing damage... hearing damage also results from the sound and vibration traveling THROUGH the stock, to the cheek, into the Cochlea/Inner Ear, in spite of wearing the best hearing protection. Fiberglass stocks are worse than wood in this regard.

And of course "surviving" is a relative thing... I prefer to prosper rather than just survive, and keeping my hearing as intact as possible is part of thriving to me.

Hearing damage is a terrible thing...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery