Originally Posted by Stush
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Nothing wrong with being an immigrant.

If they work, stay out of trouble, and pay taxes, and behave themselves, they are alright with me.

I'd rather things were like they were years ago.

It's the giving them so much slack, and handouts that irritate me

For most of us, our ancestors were all immigrants here at some point. Big difference is that mine at least wanted a new and BETTER life. They didn't desire to bring the homeland with them.

I know that my great grandmother never learned to read or write English much at all after emigrating from Ukraine. She was always embarrassed about that and implored all of her kids to get as much education as they could. She never expected Ukranian signage, newspapers, govt forms, language classes in school, etc. Nor, did she receive any assistance from the govt. Her husband got a job in the mines and she raised the family.

The difference between immigrants of old and the majority of the current crop are stark.

The immigrants of old were generally proud to become U.S. citizens and have the opportunity to make a new life through opportunity and hard work.

Much of the current crop are freeloaders looking for a hand out. They refuse to assimilate because they do not feel any pride about becoming U.S. citizens. Their focus seems to be on soaking up all the social benefits of a better society while making no effort to contribute.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile