Originally Posted by minengr
I'm not going to pretend to know as much as Boxer on the subject, but, I'm going to second his suggestion. I own(ed) various Mod 70's, a mini mauser, Sako, and a CZ.

The Sako has the smoothest action and the mini mauser is almost identical in size and design. Once worked over by a smith the mini mauser can be nearly as nice as a Sako. However, in factory offerings, they both have small mag boxes and twist rates I'd avoid. A new barrel will fix the twist rate, but the mag box dimensions cannot be overcome. The only CZ that comes with a 1-9 is the varminter. It isn't exactly light, and your COAL is limited by the detachable mag. If you get the right Mod 70, like a Coyote, you'll have a decent twist. You, can also modify the mag box for heavier bullets. But, the action is the same dimensions as the rest of their .473's. It isn't exactly light either. Especially with the tractor axle barrel on the coyote.

The Montana is twisted right from the factory, will shoot any bullet you can stuff in the brass, and it will weigh less than everything I've mentioned. I was to cheap/stupid to buy one myself. Instead I spent even more money trying to build one off a different action. I kick myself every time I think about the one I passed on multiple times.

Today, you may have no desire to shoot anything over 55gr. A couple years from now, if you change your mind, you're screwed. Save yourself time, money, and headaches and get a Montana out of the gate. I sure wish I had. But that is just my opinion and I could be wrong.

For Kimber prices I'll buy a donor action and build a good rifle every last time. Thats teh only downfall to them that I can see. When it costs what a donor plus a good barrel are to put on or only slightly less, it becomes a build a gun, not buy a gun.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....