Found a Savage today that I think is an 1899H. It's short with a 20" barrel, Straight grip stock and schnaebel fore end. It has the plastic but plate in very good condition and the front sight I guess is integral but not like my other savage. This one has what looks like a 1/8" thick blade that comes up from the barrel but not in the smooth flowing sweep like mine, the corners where it meets the barrel are square, not gradual. Then that piece has a slot milled and a brass bead insert is pinned into it. It also has a Lyman tang peep with the big nickel sized aperture disc, straight grip and no checkering. It is a takedown.

S/n is 131xxx.

Receiver appears to have been NOT case colored but it's hard to tell for sure. Could just be a very uniform patina but I don't think so. I thought they were all case colored? Were they? If they should be, then I'd guess that this was reblued but a very long time ago.

Oh yea, and the caliber is 22 hi-power. Bore was filthy but the guy in the shop ran a brush through it for me. Unfortunately, he did it dry so while it helped a lot, I still can't tell if the bore is a tad rough or if it just has some crud left in it. I suspect a little of both though I've been surprised before when bores I thought were poor cleaned up real nice. Of course, I've had 'em go the other route too.

Looks like there is a very small repair just next to the right edge of the peep sight base at the rear of the tang. Repair looks solid.

Oh, and the asking price is $999.99. Is that in the ballpark or what? I can post pictures later but right now, I need to get to bed. Been up since about 8:00am yesterday and have to work third shift tonight. Be lucky to get 4 or 5 hours of sleep.

Last edited by DaveBulla; 04/19/14.