Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I don't get why some people have it in for the .22HP. I guess they never gave it a fair trial or are put off by the challenge it represents in creating good ammo for it. My old man had the only one I had seen up to that point, which triggered a curiosity that is ongoing. I learned a long time ago to filter the advise the old timers passed down and accept only that which had a soup�on of sagacity.

Personally, I have had a running love affair with .22 centerfires all my shooting life, which is darn near my entire life. That I'm sure is what caused my admiration of Savage lever guns to coalesce with the only one (pre-mil) to be chambered with a .22 bore. What's not to like? Low recoil, plenty of power to kill deer-sized game at wood's ranges, and accurate.

Then there is the added panache of replying to the "Whatcha got there" questions posed by strangers in the woods, that results in a universal look of bewilderment on their uneducated faces. Truth be told, that counts for a lot too.

As for the OP's discovery discussed above, my sentiments reflect those of the others: it's a bit overpriced for the condition it's in. Keep looking.

+1 on what gnoahh is saying (even though I had to look up soupcon and sagacity). I would add that I think one of the things about the 1899 Savages I like most are the 22hp and 250-3000 calibers. Savage had a great run on cool and effective proprietary calibers. I understand why and at the same time am perplexed by wanting the non-savage calibers in 1899s. And I love/collect 1894 rifles too.