Me and a buddy got to do it for 5 years. Of course we had to file all the paper work with USFWS and had the Professor take care of most of that. But, all the field work we were alone and made many boxes over those years and learned just about everything from Woodies. We had the first Double clutch this far North that we knew about. She had 2 successful clutches. She began laying again about 4-5 weeks after her first brood left the nest. Which Woody ducklings get independent quickly and Mom is no longer needed . She was an older bird and started laying a week before we had any other egg initiation in any other box. Her second clutch was 12 instead of 14 the first time. We had 2 hens setting in the same box next to one another, which is unheard off. They do not tolerate any intrusions. Found a decapitated Robin in one box with a setting hen. Robin must of decided to stick her nose in and found mom none to happy about it. Learned a lot about raccoons. They would try and naw their way in the hole. This is why I double faced around the hole with another 1 inch piece of wood and why your boxes should be at least 24 inches deep. Coons tactics were to try and flush then hen by sticking their head in. That is as far as they could get, but if she flushed, he would grab her. Water or land boxes got 4 inch pvc pipe around the poles so no coons could climb. We have big Cottonwood trees here, so hard to stop coons from getting up the trees. But if your hole is 4" Long and 3" wide, like a football shape, they did not do much harm. Screech Owls like to play hurt or possum until you grab them. Then all bets are off. We had one in the red phase and one in the blue phase that liked to winter in the boxes. Clean them every Feb. Squirrels love to nest early. Kick them out. Keep checking them until you know it is a woody using it. Like I said before, they will renest if something happens, so keep your boxes strong and clean and you will be rewarded. I used 4" of animal bedding wood chips for the bottoms. Good luck!