I used to reply no to this type of thread all the time.

Here is my take on it from a less aggressive stance...

The top makers like Noveske and La Rue etc... all turn out good products. If you have the money to spend and want one ready to roll and they make one that suits you, go for it.

OTOH, A lot of the top makers don't use the very best barrels, but kind of sort through mid range tubes, and accuracy test each upper, if it doesn't work, they put another tube on it until they get a good one. I've heard rejection rates at times can be around 30%. But they make it work.

Me, I desire some specific things, and since its a tool, I don't want to pay more than I have to for it. Recent example. buddy wanted a flat top upper, for yotes out to about 200 at his home and some at night.

So instead of paying for a 200 buck or so float tube with all kinds of rails, that actually kind of dig into you and that you end up putting covers on the ones not used... we bought a hogue float tube. Bought 2 machine screw swivel studs. Put 2 on the front, for sling and bipod if he ever does. Float tube was somethign around 50 bucks IIRC... a bit more. And then decided to pay 15ish bucks for 2 short rails... for light and laser possibly later. 4 more holes and good to go. Put a used tube on it, as it doesn't take less than MOA for 200 yard anything generally. Put a Burris PEPR mount on it.

Came out reasonably priced. And my bet is it'll hold around 3/4 moa. 65 bucks for a flat top upper with forward assist, and port door. 50ish for the tube. 15 for the 2 rails. 30ish for a low profile gas block. 15? for the gas tube. Barrel was free, but could buy a new one for 200 or less easily. Ad charge handle and bolt carrier at around 150ish. Well under 1000. That includes the scope mount at about 70.

On my personal builds I go about the same route, just buy exactly what I need but no more but I typically put on a better tube, my 300 whisper has a rock tube sitting here waiting on other parts..... So I add 150 or more to the barrel price...

FWIW we've run from the highest to cheapest parts in lowers and uppers out there, and as long as the parts are right and "in spec" and the barrel is a top line and set up right, they run and run and run, and are very accurate.

Bottom line some folks just want to pick up top line and run and have no real idea of exactly what they want. Wilson, LaRue, Noveske are all good ones for that.

Some folks don't need the best out there and can get by just fine with DPMS or the like and the guns will outshoot them for their life spans likely.

And then there are folks that by trial and error know what they need, and have that built or build it themselves. Rarely at more cost than the likes of a Noveske, often about the same but generally at least as good or better than...

And then there is the ammo issue... if you don't reload, you'll never know what your gun is capable of... and that would factor into a lot of what i used to make up my mind which route to go.

Its very much like John Burns guns..... I'd never pay that price because I can part together as good or better gun and load as good or better ammo, but I take and make the time to do it and enjoy what goes into it. But for those that want to plunk down and go, John has worked up a good system with his bolt guns.

Good luck.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....