Originally Posted by pira114
Originally Posted by forpest
Have used Power Pro for the past 4 yrs -same line. I was told by a tourney angler that you can turn the line around - end for end and use it for another several yrs, which greatly reduces the price. PowerPro has a new line PP slick? that I will try this spring. Braids aren't the best for ice fishing, though. They tend to pick up water and freeze straight. . which can become a good marker for depth or a pain. You will enjoy the sensitivity of braids.

Flourocarbon could be good line, but really does require special knots. I just use it for leader material.

Good fishing!

Is it so expensive that this technique is worth it?

The cost is relative. I have to respool my mono reels every year because the memory causes the line to air-knot. Braid will last several seasons and has no memory so no problem with air knotting. So while braid is initially more expensive, I find it lasts so much longer that it's price is effectively the same as mono.

The one thing to be aware of when switching to braid is you put a lot more strain on the rod and the reels drag because the line isn't taking any of the shock and stretch.