Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Originally Posted by BobinNH
JM: The 8400 has a great big old action large enough for a 375 H&H,and a shad belly shaped stock that makes it even bigger looking and heavier.Sorta clunky for a 270.

OTOH the 84L is a lengthened version of the 84M action;smaller and trimmer,and the stock is smaller and nicer handling as well....trimmer rifle.

I agree completely on not accepting the 8400. The 84L is a much better fit for an '06 case.

But I think the 84M and 84L have people pretty spoiled, and I wonder why so many happily accept the Winchester M70 obesity that results from that "great big old action large enough for a 375 H&H"

Because they "work"...and have since 1937. The M70 is an icon...the Kimber is a M70 clone smile

Besides the OD of a M70 receiver is not all that much bigger than a small ring Mauser.....I don't have dimensions in front of me but someone can research it and call me a liar if they want. eek

The pre 64's were made to take 30/06 based cartridges....H&H actions required extra machining.

With the Classics, at least they blocked the magazines so shorter 06 cartridges were not swimming around in there like a guy whose legs were too short for his pants.They did not do that with an 8400.Like I said, the M70 "works" with 06 cases....see SAS's post above.

Back in topic....the OP did the right thing grabbing he 84L, which is how I would roll...if I wanted a 270.....Kimber.....if... smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.