I have done a fair bit of Cervid research on Lake Nipigon. I was the dog handler not a biologist. There was a couple of CO's from the MNR involved and Lakehead University provided the Biologists and Buchanen Forest Products footed the bill.

I believe the MNR has a WAG on how many moose are in the Province. (Wild Assed Guess) With the reductions in funding over the last few years I doubt they can go beyond that.

There is the perception that the moose population is declining overall and I really don't know about the whole Province. I don't see it in the Nipigon District. I can't speak to WMU 14 or 13 as I haven't hunted them in years--the good hunters I know who do hunt those areas tell me the population is way down.

Area 21A seems about the same to me as it has always been.

Area 15B is pretty much the same if not better than it was years ago. WMU 19 is certainly better than it was 20 years ago.

Bear in mind I own a moose processing shop--I know who the good hunters are and mostly where they hunt--I know most of the Native hunters and I know most of the poachers too.

Every little town around here has a cadre of very good very vocal moose hunters. Also every little town around here has a guy or two who keep their mouths shut, don't brag about anything, hide up in the bushes and kill more moose in an afternoon than the rest of the guys do in a lifetime.