I posted this on some other forums, but figure since I need quick comment, I'd spread it around, just in case.

I plan on putting some underlugs on my underhammer build tomorrow morning and I've been toying with a few notions, mainly using wedges or keys versus pins.

I am tempted to slot the lugs, and use steel pins - the slot giving parallel movement but holding the stock firm to the barrel.

Then thought of using brass escutcheons in the wood on both sides to hold the slightly tapered pins. The brass would be like a bushing with the surface designed in almost inlay fashion, oval, star, cross, animal, or some other pattern. [The finish result would then be a brass 'inlay' with a rust blued dot in it, tactfully placed]

Versus the simplicity of a peened head wedge fitted to the lug slot ( a little smaller to allow parallel movement)

I'm good either way, I just do things to keep the fingers busy, and will build from scratch whatever I plan on doing, but was curious on the structure and function of either choice, compared to the other.

Get your comments in today. I'll be up tomorrow at 0530 and in the work shed with a cup of coffee.