Sorry for another in the trail of "What did I buy post?"(s), but these things happen. I had about 30 seconds to make a decision, decided in 10 seconds, and the deed was done.

So, listed as a pre-64 Winchester 70 in .270 caliber from the early 50's.

The good: Blueing is supposed to be original at 90% or greater, probably closer to 95, but I had a very limited time to look. The bolt is blued. Stock finish appears to be original and intact, and the checkering is still sharp in the grip and the forearm, didn't see any flat spots at all. The screw heads all look clean and the bore is gleaming. Steel butt plate is blued with very faint loss around the edge, but not much. Front sight hood is present. The magazine floor plate has 90% blue, may have few very minor small scratches, but it does not look like the typical carried in the hand rub-off.

The bad: old Weaver scope with two horizontal cross-hairs in a side mount that required the receiver side to be drilled and tapped in the middle. I think the mount is the Pachmayr Lo-Swing rifle scope mount. The mount also goes down below the woodline on the left side, and the stock has been relieved for the scope mount. The stock work has been professionally done, the cut lines in the inleting are clean and no ragged edges. But, I know the cuts to the stock and the extra side taps are a deal-killer for the hardcore collectors. Look like a scope mount set-up for a flip to the side to use the iron sights.

If I had to guess, it's a new purchased single owner rifle (in 1950s) that was set up for East Coast whitetail duty, probably saw the range and the woods for a few trips, and then regulated to the back of the closet for most of it's life.

Limited pictures, and they are terrible. Didn't realize they were so bad from looking at the smart phone screen. Will take much better and post when I pick it up:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]