Originally Posted by GunGeek
My only beef with Springfield (and several others) is aesthetic. Ever notice how the front strap of the slide doesn't wrap back to the leading edge of the grip? Anytime I build up a Springfield (and most others except S&W and Colt), the first thing I do is get out a 12" double cut file and hog that thing down and shape the front strap to where it's supposed to be. Literally my only complaint with Springfield; and that's a pretty nit-picky complaint.

BTW on the subject of the front strap not being milled correctly; I figured out why. They do it to save on machine time. The radius of the front strap of the Springfields (older) and other guns with a similar radius, is the same as the radius on the dust cover. So in manufacturing they're using the same radius cutter to save the time of changing cutters.

Springfield has cured this, and most of their newer guns have the correct radius. But many other 1911's still don't have the correct radius. Still, not a real big deal, but I thought I'd point out the observation.