Just wanted to update this post. It shows how different guns are. Norma ballistics tech, Quickload, and actual shooting experience. Here is a chronology of events:

I contacted Norma on several occasions � this is the result.

Update and Recap on .30-378 Weatherby Magnum

Weatherby specs list freebore is .361� for the .30-378 Wtby Mag. Best I can tell freebore on the rifle I have is at least .361 and maybe a bit more.

Rifle is clean.

Fired cases allow bullet to slide in and out freely (necks not too thick).

Barrel Length: 26�
Action: Dakota 97

Loaded with Norma 217 (Lot Number 0603 135067)
1x factory fired Weatherby cases
Federal 215 magnum primers
168gr Barnes Tipped TSX
Seated at 3.645� OAL

Chronograh set 20� (about 6 meters) from muzzle.

Per Norma�s instructions, I started with one round at 113.5gr as listed in manual for 165gr oryx � sticky bolt uplift (for about the width of the extractor cut), extractor cut mark on case head, extraction normal and velocity didn�t register on chronograph. Temp � 65-70 Deg F

After email from Norma (saying drop charge no more than 3 grains) I tried 111.5gr � velocity average 3,609 fps at 70 Deg F. Bolt lift not completely normal with resistance on initial uplift and some resistance midway thru bolt uplift (each case was a bit different) � extractor cut marks on several case heads, and extraction was normal.

Dropped charge to 110.5gr � velocity 3,567 fps. Bolt lift and case head marks less noticeable than 111.5gr but still evident to some degree. Temp 65 Deg F

Dropped charge to 109.5gr � velocity 3,520 fps. Bolt lift normal, case head normal. Temp 60 Deg F.

It looks like I should stop at 109.5gr � does this sound reasonable and 3,520 fps.

Tried the 109.5gr load again � again, initial bolt lift still balking slightly and extractor cut marks on case head.

Went down to 108.5gr � chrono gave 3,463 fps and bolt lift was totally normal, although several cases showed slight ejector cut marks. Used two chronos one behind the other. Shot 3 at 200 yards and got a 2� group � vertical dispersion was �� � wind was fairly strong and swirling which may account for horiz spread (which I can live with even if not wind related).]

I finally feel comfortable with this load and will load 20 to verify.

To put this into perspective � 118.0gr of H50BMG at 3,380 w/168gr TTSX is max in this gun (as much as 123.0gr is listed as max in various reliable sources).
Regards,

Paul