Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Went out about 10 to make sure horses hadn't spurng the hog trap. Well they were all milling around the trap and I could hear hogs a-gruntin'. Horses spotted me in the moonlight and came to investigate. Bunch of hogs came out. And I hosed em all Guadacanal style. Got these on ice.

[Linked Image]

Nice Bob!
Lots of good meat there! That little fellow on the right is the size my little Brother just loves to cook whole on a spit and are really tasty! Me, I prefer pork chops & breakfast sausage.

I've got a feeder here on the Ranch on the Double Mountain Fork of the Brazos that's been in the same spot for 22 years now. We've probably shot well over 200 Hogs at that very spot, as they just keep coming to it. I've seen as many as 40 hogs under it at one time.
Anyhow, there is now a water hole under the feeder that's 3 feet deep and at least 12 feet in diameter from the hogs rooting for corn underneath the feeder. Destructive little bastids, and they are hell on our fences, too.

Long story short, When I first set up that feeder, I would put a couple of boxes of strawberry Jello powder mix in with 300 lbs of corn and sprinkled another box on the ground under the feeder. An old timer told me that trick, and I didn't really believe him, but those hogs found my feeder within 2 days and have been coming ever since. I've even found them sleeping under my feeder waiting for it to go off.

Anyhow, any sow 250 lbs or less, we process and it's damn good eating. On the big boars that we kill over 350 lbs, we drag them out on the edge of our cotton field and shoot Coyote's off of the carcass.

Looks like your Model 12 makes a dandy hog gun. Are you using OO Buck ? I prefer #1 buck myself.

Neal, I got a 1 gallon ziplock freezer bag full of 12 ga. buckshot in assorted sizes give to me! So it's whatever got grabbed out of the bag. I think I had a mix of #4's and 000! Whatever it was, it worked.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS