bcraig;
Thanks for starting the educational thread, I appreciate yet again the input from our members.

As it turns out the FN barrel information is timely for me as I'm putting together an '06 for our eldest daughter using a stepped FN barrel and VZ24 action. It shot quite well in the tester stock and so she's going to get the first full length, Mannlicher style stock I've ever built.

I'll say before leaving that subject that inletting the steps into a full wood stock is proving to be much more time consuming than I'd thought it might be. grin

As far as the FN actions, as others have stated they made actions for a lot of companies, among them the large ring Husqvarna rifles from the '50's.

While overall quality is very much a subjective thing, I'd say that in my opinion based upon playing with various Mauser type actions over the last 30 + years that it'd be a toss up between FN and the Swedish built actions for overall fit and finish.

I can only guess what a new one would cost these days, but it would likely be quite steep judging from the finish on today's rifle actions.

Hopefully that was useful information to you or someone out there this morning sir. Good luck with your rifle whichever way you decide.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"